Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Fox & the Cat

Things are moving along and it is crazy to think how I am already posting the second image in the Wooden Heart series! This image is of the Fox and the Cat. In the story of Pinocchio, the fox and the cat are two very devious animals about town. They con Pinocchio into selling his schoolbooks to see a puppet show and many other terrible decisions... they even try to kill him at one point.

In this scene, they have taken Pinocchio to the Field of Dreams. The Fox and the Cat tell him that if he plants his four gold coins in the Field of Dreams, the coins will grow and turn into a tree filled with thousands of coins. Their motto is all play and no work.

I met Artouro and Philippa in New York during my internship. They are both professional dancers and can dance just about any style possible and do it well. They invited me to watch them dance at The Atlantic, a great restaurant in Brookyln, and I was moved at the chemistry these two have while dancing. They are incredible.

I went to Philippa's house and we were having some tea. I told her I would love to shoot her and Artouro some time soon, and then it hit me. They would make an incredible Fox and Cat. To me, the Fox has control over the cat, and tells her where to go every move of her life. This symbolized a dance in my head, the leader sweeping his partner across the floor... it totally described the relationship I felt the Fox and the Cat have. They are very devious thieves, and it reminded me of Bonnie and Clyde, and then I landed on Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. What an incredible couple. I knew at once how I could unite our two worlds and still have the models be very much a part of the shot as well.

The location could not have been any more perfect to me as well. The Field of Dreams is a desolate, bleak field located in a broken down town full of penniless gamblers. I went to Coney Island once more to find a location, and I found this wonderful field. The "Playland" sign in the back adds so much to the characters, and I knew we had to shoot here in the golden sun.

Philippa's incredible dress came from my friend Sue Harmon at the Brooklyn Flea Market. She has an incredible collection of vintage gowns, in every color, and in wonderful condition. I knew I could not afford one, so I asked her about renting one. She went out of her way and worked with me to make this possible. I am so grateful to her for letting us borrow this dress.

I wanted them to stand on top of a giant golden pile of coins, but was baffled at how i could achieve it! My friend Ashley had the idea to paint crackers, so I went to the store and spray painted around 1,400 crackers! They looked perfect, like pirate gold!



We had to shoot this scene twice. The first time we did, the sun was quickly fading and it was an extremely overcast afternoon. I was so sad that we had missed the golden sun, but everyone knew we were making something very important to each of us, and we met again later that week to reshoot, and it was so worth it. Not every shoot gets a second chance, and I was so grateful for this one. SO very grateful.

Philippa got ready on the train ride there!

Artouro was looking over the research I had gathered for the shoot on the train trying to place each foot and arm in the correct place. I knew he and Philippa understood how important this shot was to me, and they wanted to do their best.

As soon as Jacob helped me set up the scene, we braved the cold and the magic began. The golden sun reflected on the coins and the Fox and the Cat emerged. I was so excited behind my camera, because I was witnessing the characters once again coming to life. They were so graceful, just like Fred and Ginger, the Fox and the Cat.

I am so happy to have worked with these two, two great friends, and I know we are all proud of our work. A frozen Philippa said at the shoot, "THE THINGS WE DO FOR ART!" haha.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! So neat Brett....and the crackers=extra awesome!

    ReplyDelete