Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Boring Night, turned fun!

Saturday night I decided to go to the Guggenheim Art Museum on Fifth Ave. I always thought the outside looked amazing, a large white spiral building. It was designed by Frank Loyd Wright. After waiting outside in the cold for a very long time, I finally got inside. There was a Kandinsky exhibit going on... really not one of my favorites at all, so I was pretty disappointed. I must say that his drawings were pretty interesting tho, I just was not that into the paintings... and there were A LOT.


I left the museum, and by this point I had still not decided if I wanted to go to this Swing Dance Ball I had heard about... sounds like a great time, but by yourself.... a little different. Well, I went on a hunt for a costume, I thought if I found something I would go.

The Ball was a Babes in Toyland theme, and you were required to dress vintage style as a list of characters they had chosen. I thought this sounded pretty awesome. I didnt find any vintage clothes at the store that I thought would work so I just headed home to see if I could make something work. I decided to be Hansel from Hansel and Gretel. So... I got my blue tuxedo shirt my mom made, and wrapped one of my hats in left over yarn from the ornaments and made a tie out of it as well... and it actually kind of looked like Hansel to me!

When I arrived, I could hear the Live swing band playing in the hall, and when I stepped inside I was blown away. Toy Soldiers, wind up ballerinas, and dolls everywhere! The costumes were incredible, and so was the swing band! Here is a picture of a toy soldier and a candy cane... these two owned the dance floor... they were amazing at the Lindy Hop.

I made some friends while I was there! Phillipa and Erica. Phillipa is a swing dance instructor and Erica works with financial things. They were very nice and I took turns dancing with them all night long! It was so much fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment