Friday, December 18, 2009

The Metropolitan Museum Of Art!

Yesterday I went to see the Christmas Train exhibit at Grand Central Station... I was expecting a huge train that you boarded filled with Holiday cheer... well, scale it down and I was right. It was a HUGE miniature train set they had set up and recreated New York City! The train ended up at the North Pole, it was pretty cool.


Here is an interesting fact everyone... If you are planning on visiting a NYC museum... DO NOT pay full price! Most museums here have a sign that states "suggested donation" The usual $20 admission, is merely a suggestion! So... yesterday I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and handed them 2 dollars... the man at the counter looked at me and said, "How many tickets?" IT ACTUALLY WORKS! I was very excited!

My buddy Stevie B from CMT was in town and we met up and went to the museum together! It is now most definitely my favorite museum in NYC!


Yikes, looks like someone copied the Starbucks Logo and made some art... jk

I wish I could do a shoot in this room, it was incredible. Complete with carved cherubs all over the ceiling.

A beautiful Baroque Christmas Tree! The ornaments are hundreds of years old. Photos were not permitted of the tree... geez, my camera must have accidentally triggered.



Pretty cool chair and mirror combo.


This couple decided to take a nap together right in the middle of the museum... how appropriate.


One of my favorite artists! Chuck Close! This man had an exhibit at the Frist this summer and it was incredible. The exhibit consisted of his print work, but THIS is what I wanted to see. This giant painting is so incredibly photo realistic that it blows my mind. Also, it is cool to know that the artist is paralyzed, confined to a wheelchair... just goes to show you, if you put your mind to it, it can literally happen.


As you get closer, you can begin to notice more strokes.


The closest I could get, still photo realistic... this blows my mind.


I love ancient Egypt! This was an actual temple relocated here, you could actually go inside... so very awesome.


Another one of my favorites... Roy Lichtenstein!


HEY EVERYBODY... I AM MODERN ART! This was pretty awesome, a giant satellite dish shaped piece covered with mirrors, made for a pretty trippy experience.


So I saw this book the other day, and was inspired by it. It was called Pictures of paintings, and the artist went around and photographed the frames in the piece that were the most interesting to him. After seeing this book, I thought I would try and do the same... pretty fun.





This one is for my friends at CMT... in my opinion, LONG LIVE THE CRITTERS!





Now to my favorite part of the entire museum, Robert Frank's The Americans. Robert Frank was a Jewish man from Switzerland and came to America to photograph "This thing that was born here and was spreading everywhere else" AMERICA! This series is so incredible to me, I believe he truly captures the American spirit and the way things worked back then. Frank was amazing.

I think this image is incredible because Frank captured the social order of Americans at the time as they all hang out of a bus window. This photo was taken a few weeks before Rosa Park took a stand!





Looking at this exhibit made me want to document my trip and the people I see everyday so much more. To really tell the story... like Frank did.


On my way home, I saw this and got so excited! The subtle glow of electric... well, you know, in the window of this home made me so happy! CHRISTMAS IS HERE!


Mom and Dad are coming tomorrow! I had better get some sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous21.12.09

    ahhh, the Close exhibit looked awesome! way better than the frist one. he is my absolute favorite! loved the leg lamp too. haha. the MET was one place i didn't get to spend much time when i went to nyc. oh if i could go back.... thanks for letting me live vicariously through you! oh and can you smuggle that couch/mirror back? k thanks.

    ReplyDelete